Nascar Cup Series

Nascar Cup Series
Nascar Cup Series

Thursday, December 12, 2013

RCR bringing back the number 3

   As my friends and fellow Nascar poolers know, I have been a lifelong Dale Earnhardt fan.  From the first race I watched in the mid 1980's where he "moved" someone out of the way to take the lead until that fateful day in Daytona in 2001, I was there rooting him on.  I had actually hoped that Dale Jr. would sign with RCR and take over the #3 ride back then, but I understand his reasons in not doing that and wanting to make his own history.  That being said, all this uproar and Nascar bashing over Richard Childress bringing Dillon up with the number 3 is ridiculous.  First of all, if you didn't see it coming when he first drove the #3 Truck years ago, shame on you.
   Dale Sr. will always be remembered for the black number 3, but that doesn't mean that no one can ever run that number again.  Is it too soon??? No, if not now.... when? Should I stop watching Nascar because I don't agree with what Childress is doing? No, grow up! Watch to see Austin Dillon make his own history in the Cheerios #3 and know that no one can ever be Dale Earnhardt Sr. .... ever.
   That's what I think!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Paul, To all the Dale DHs remember childress owns the number. This being said they should've. retired it for the rest of that year and thats it. The Dillon boys will never be Dale Sr.this we all know between the rules now and competion it will probably never happen. But bringing back the number is long over due. Oh, and remember Dale would still be alive if His belt was on all the way, and he wasn't blocking. I dont have any of the published so I'm forced to choose anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% anonymous. It is just a number and there is only so many that fit on race car doors. I don't think it would have hit as hard as it is today if they just retired it for the rest of that year only, instead of letting 13 years go by. It still brings a tear to my eye when I think how that man never blocked, and here he was blocking for his son and his good friend.

    ReplyDelete